Become a Travel Tutor
What is a Travel Tutor?
What is the time commitment?
What is the pay?
What are the perks?
The Kit is a collection of portable teaching materials that we’ve made for you so you don’t have to. The key to helping kids excel at math is building their skills, not just holding their hand through a homework problem. In order to do this, you have to have a bank of practice problems like the problem they’re currently struggling with. The Kit has plenty of practice problems of the types that students are most likely to have as their weak spots. If it’s not in The Kit, our library is sure to have anything else you could ever want or need to best help your students.
Besides that, if you’ve ever tried getting tutoring gigs on your own, you know how much time you can spend trying to market yourself, sell yourself, field calls, deal with cancellations, do invoices, get paid, etc. With the Travel Tutor Program, we do all of that for you. We have an outstanding reputation and the most wonderful clients. We can keep you booked up with committed students as long as you’re kicking ass and getting results. It is such a relief to be able to just show up and do what you’re good at—teach math!
What qualifications should I meet to become a Travel Tutor?
- be fun, energetic, confident, a decision-maker, a self-starter
- be very organized, able to keep a calendar and stay on top of a variety of tasks and appointments
- be passionate about teaching, about math, about teaching math
- have smiles and empathy- be able to put people at ease.
- have strong math-teaching skills (this is an entirely different skill-set than strong math skills)
- have at least 80 hours of formal teaching or tutoring experience in elementary/ middle school math curricula (basic math, pre-algebra, algebra 1) and/or middle/ high school math curricula (pre-algebra, algebra 1, geometry, algebra 2, precal/ trig, calculus AB)
- have a steady schedule (not be job-hunting, or doing anything that would dramatically change your availability mid-semester).
- own a car
- be awesome
**Bonus if you’re a math-loving musician or artist or athlete or such (you know, for cool cred with the kiddos)
What do I do to get started?
NOTE: Please do not send an application unless you meet all 9 of the above criteria.
This page will have a note at the top if we are currently actively hiring. Otherwise, feel free to go ahead and submit an application as we are always accepting them, and will be happy to have a file of qualified applicants at the ready for the next hiring round, which could be right around the corner. Thank you for your time- we appreciate it!